Friday, April 10, 2009

A Beginner's Guide to Hating iMovie '08

Thank you, Apple. This is pretty much my first experience editing footage into a "movie," and with iMovie '08, you've made the process slow, painful, and constrained. What's more, I was lucky enough to get my computer weeks before the release of iMovie '09, so any of your stunning omissions fixed in the subsequent version will cost me $100. No thanks.

First off, titles. Adding chapter titles is a pretty common use for iMovie, I would think, but clips cut from one Project and pasted in another are stripped of their title. Thanks.

Oh, but wait: "chapter titles?" What's a chapter? iMovie isn't really meant to create movies for later burning onto a DVD -- who would ever want to distribute a DVD? So very 2003! The only way I've found to separate footage into chapters for iDVD is to put each chapter into its own Project. Annoying.

No comments: